Recently while having the unfortunate, but not uncommon, experience of being stuck in an airport, I made a list of all the things I should have had with me. (Hindsight is always the best teacher.) While trying to remain calm and patient as our flight was delayed once again, I borrowed a pencil and made a list of the items I would be sure to have with me on any future trips. My list started with a backpack: essential both for ease in carrying and to fit under the seat so that it stays with me after boarding the airplane.
This is what should be packed inside:
- Snacks like energy bars or packaged trail mix.
- Magazines. Read them and throw them out.
- Travel games like crossword puzzles or a travel edition of Scrabble.
- Toothbrush, deodorant, extra lipstick, small hair brush. Who knows when you’ll see your luggage again? If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will.
- Camera with extra battery.
- iPod with the ear buds. Have a couple of podcasts or audio books already recorded.
- Pencils, pens and a small blank notebook
- Travel clock
- Small pillow
- Inexpensive throw away raincoat. Can be found at any Dollar Store.
- Light-weight sweater.
- $1 bills for tipping.
- Bottle of water purchased after going through security.
- If you’re lucky enough to have a Kindle or an iPad, this is the time when they prove to be invaluable.
- And most important, all travel paperwork such as itinerary, trip tickets and maps for the trip tucked into an easily accessible place.
OutLook by the Bay magazine and this website are made possible through the support of our advertisers and subscribers. We guarantee you’ll learn something new each issue. Please subscribe today.