Are You Looking for the Perfect Gift
for a Home-Bound Friend?
By Penelope Folsom
Most of us draw a blank when we try to find just the right gift for a friend who is home-bound. Here’s a list that should help with ideas for gifts that anyone would love to find under their Christmas tree.
- Large-print books and crossword puzzles found locally or at www.amazon.com Mechanical pencils with erasers would make a nice accompaniment.
- Stamps www.shop.usps.com as well as pens and stationery. An assortment of greeting cards that can be sent to commemorate various occasions would be ideal. Any local paper store would carry a wide selection.
- Newspaper or special interest magazine subscriptions found at any of these websites: WSJ.com or WashingtonPost.com or OutLookbytheBay.com or magazines.com
- A warm washable throw or small blanket found at www.thecompanystore.com
- Exercise equipment that can be used while sitting. A good selection is offered at www.activeforever.com
- www. americanmedical-id.com has a varied selection of medical alert necklaces or bracelets.
- www.RitzCamera.com carries an interesting array of digital frames that can be loaded with favorite pictures that change every 3 to 5 seconds.
- Solo games and jigsaw puzzles found at Wal-Mart or Barnes and Noble are always a hit. Solitaire can also be played on line at www.worldofsolitaire.com Careful, it’s addictive.
- Audio book subscriptions can be found and are free at www.librivox.org or www.audiobooks.org The latter charges a small fee, but carries an extensive list.
- A lap desk for letter writing and to hold a computer could be the best gift ever and can be found at www.levenger.com
- And to truly get into the holiday spirit, a decorated, table top Christmas tree found at www.llbean.com that can be delivered for free to the door.
Perhaps the most welcome gift would be a visit. Bring along a basket of goodies filled with such things as Christmas cookies, a couple of paperback books, a good magazine, a DVD or CD if electronic equipment is available, a Christmas candle and a sprig of holiday greens.
OutLook by the Bay magazine and this website are made possible through the support of our advertisers and subscribers. We guarantee you’ll learn something new each issue. Please subscribe today.