Five Quick and Easy Fixes to Help You Feel Better Now
1. Stand Tall. That round shouldered hunch is too easy to slip into as we age. Try to straighten that back and those shoulders. It magically gives the body the appearance of being ten pounds lighter. You’ll also feel better.
2. Drink lots of water or a good tea for that youthful glow and to keep those joints lubricated. Most studies say that we need at least eight glasses a day of water. Try flavoring a glass of water with a bit of weak tea or just a bit of 100% fruit juice or even a slice of lemon or lime. My friend Victoria puts a frozen slice of peach in her tea o give it a little zip.
3. Exercise 30 minutes a day at least five days a week. Do something you love like walking with friends or swimming in one of the local pools or tennis or golf. Get into the habit – it’s not that difficult. Find someone who’ll do it with you and who will encourage you to stick with it.
4. Go heavy on the veggies. So many great ways to prepare them and such a wide selection now that the local crops are coming in. Try a fresh salad at least once a day by combining your favorite lettuce, spinach, grated cheese, chopped veggies such as a scallion, green pepper, grated carrot and a chopped up fruit such as apple or pear. The combinations are endless. Experiment with salad dressings that you make from scratch. Our favorite salad: A combination of any lettuces, crumbled feta, dried cranberries, chopped celery and crushed nuts. Dressing: 1/2 light olive oil, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, 2 tablespoons sugar 1/4 cup finely chopped onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Shake it all together and spoon lightly over salad.
5. Let go of stress. Easier said than done, but work at it. It takes retraining the brain to calm down and learn how to relax, but it’s worth the effort – stress is bad for your health and can take years off your life. Sometimes just five slow deep breaths can calm an anxious mind. Exercise and a good night’s sleep have also been proven to calm a stress filled life.