By Kater Leatherman
It’s time to set our sights on summer when, with luck, we’ll all be heading to our favorite seaside resort areas! Have fun taking this trivia quiz to see how much you know about Maryland’s only resort beach town.
1. In 1867, Ocean City was officially patented as:
A. Land of Pleasant Living
B. Lady’s Resort to the Ocean
C. Luxury by the Sea
2. What was the name of the first hotel that opened on July 4, 1875?
A. The Commander
B. Old Plimhimmon
C. The Atlantic
3. How long did it take to cross the Chesapeake Bay on the ferry going from the Sandy Point on the western shore to Kent Island on the eastern shore?
A. 40 minutes
B. 1 hour
C. 1 hour 15 minutes
4. What was the name of the August hurricane that separated Ocean City from Assateague Island?
A. Chesapeake-Potomac Hurricane
B. The Great Hurricane of 1933
C. Hurricane Ike
5. The boardwalk starts at the inlet and ends at what street?
A. 27th street
B. 30th street
C. 31st street
6. What years were the two spans of the Bay Bridge completed, respectively?
A. 1951 and 1970
B. 1952 and 1973
C. 1955 and 1971
7. In 1962, the Carousel Hotel was built on 118th Street by politician Bobby Baker as a hideaway for Washington D.C. power brokers. He was a political adviser for which President?
A. Dwight D. Eisenhower
B. John F. Kennedy
C. Lyndon B. Johnson
8. One of the most memorable advertising gimmicks in Ocean City history was this barge that moved along the ocean shoreline during the 1960s. What was it promoting?
A. Trimper’s Rides
B. Candy Kitchen
C. Frontier Town
9. Ocean City extends how many miles from the southern inlet to the Delaware line?
A. 10 miles
B. 12 miles
C. 15 miles
10. Ocean City is best known for three things — the boardwalk, saltwater taffy and …
B. Thrasher’s french fries
C. It’s status for being the White Marlin Capital of the World
11. Ocean City is home to what annual event?
A. Chesapeake Film Festival
B. Maryland State Firefighters Convention
C. Worcester County Craft Show
12. In the 1970s, approximately how many condominiums were built in Ocean City?
13. What year was Ocean City’s original pier destroyed by fire?
14. How many visitors does Ocean City have annually?
A. Over 8 million
B. Over 10 million
C. Over 12 million
15. When leaving Ocean City on westbound Route 50, there is an overhead traffic sign that reads:
A. Come back and see us soon
B. Sacramento, California — 3,073 miles
C. Leaving Ocean City, Maryland
Whether you live to spend time at the beach, enjoy camping, or love hosting barbecues in your backyard, have a wonderful summer and make sure to fill it with a hefty dose of fun, great weather and lots of memories.
Kater, a published author, can be contacted at [email protected]
1. B; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. A; 6. B; 7. C; 8. C; 9. A; 10. C; 11. B; 12. B; 13. C; 14. A; 15. B
OutLook by the Bay magazine and this website are made possible through the support of our advertisers and subscribers. We guarantee you’ll learn something new each issue. Please subscribe today.