Recently while having the unfortunate, but not uncommon, experience of being stuck in an airport, I made a list of all the things I should have had with me. (Hindsight is always the best teacher.) While trying to remain calm and patient as our flight was delayed once again, I borrowed a pencil and made a list of the items I would be sure to have with me on any future trips. My list started with a backpack: essential both for ease in carrying and to fit under the seat so that it stays with me after boarding the airplane.
This is what should be packed inside:
- Snacks like energy bars or packaged trail mix.
- Magazines. Read them and throw them out.
- Travel games like crossword puzzles or a travel edition of Scrabble.
- Toothbrush, deodorant, extra lipstick, small hair brush. Who knows when you’ll see your luggage again? If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will.
- Camera with extra battery.
- iPod with the ear buds. Have a couple of podcasts or audio books already recorded.
- Pencils, pens and a small blank notebook
- Travel clock
- Small pillow
- Inexpensive throw away raincoat. Can be found at any Dollar Store.
- Light-weight sweater.
- $1 bills for tipping.
- Bottle of water purchased after going through security.
- If you’re lucky enough to have a Kindle or an iPad, this is the time when they prove to be invaluable.
- And most important, all travel paperwork such as itinerary, trip tickets and maps for the trip tucked into an easily accessible place.
Please support OutLook by the Bay with a subscription.
OutLook by the Bay magazine and this website are made possible through the support of our advertisers and subscribers. We guarantee you’ll learn something new each issue. Please subscribe today.