Are You Looking for the Perfect Gift
for a Home-Bound Friend?
By Penelope Folsom
Most of us draw a blank when we try to find just the right gift for a friend who is home-bound. Here’s a list that should help with ideas for gifts that anyone would love to find under their Christmas tree.
- Large-print books and crossword puzzles found locally or at www.amazon.com Mechanical pencils with erasers would make a nice accompaniment.
- Stamps www.shop.usps.com as well as pens and stationery. An assortment of greeting cards that can be sent to commemorate various occasions would be ideal. Any local paper store would carry a wide selection.
- Newspaper or special interest magazine subscriptions found at any of these websites: WSJ.com or WashingtonPost.com or OutLookbytheBay.com or magazines.com
- A warm washable throw or small blanket found at www.thecompanystore.com
- Exercise equipment that can be used while sitting. A good selection is offered at www.activeforever.com
- www. americanmedical-id.com has a varied selection of medical alert necklaces or bracelets.
- www.RitzCamera.com carries an interesting array of digital frames that can be loaded with favorite pictures that change every 3 to 5 seconds.
- Solo games and jigsaw puzzles found at Wal-Mart or Barnes and Noble are always a hit. Solitaire can also be played on line at www.worldofsolitaire.com Careful, it’s addictive.
- Audio book subscriptions can be found and are free at www.librivox.org or www.audiobooks.org The latter charges a small fee, but carries an extensive list.
- A lap desk for letter writing and to hold a computer could be the best gift ever and can be found at www.levenger.com
- And to truly get into the holiday spirit, a decorated, table top Christmas tree found at www.llbean.com that can be delivered for free to the door.
Perhaps the most welcome gift would be a visit. Bring along a basket of goodies filled with such things as Christmas cookies, a couple of paperback books, a good magazine, a DVD or CD if electronic equipment is available, a Christmas candle and a sprig of holiday greens.
Please support OutLook by the Bay with a subscription.
OutLook by the Bay magazine and this website are made possible through the support of our advertisers and subscribers. We guarantee you’ll learn something new each issue. Please subscribe today.